I play, own, and collect tons of games. The ones I have a soft spot for are the early simulators by Maxis, and the games I owned as a child on the N64. Here are a few, old and new, that I'd like to highlight.
The Sims 1
Released in the year 2000, The Sims is a life simulation game that lets you control up to 8 virtual people (or "Sims") in a home that you build. The creator, Wil Wright, had initially based it on the idea of a dollhouse, and it grew from there. When I was younger, my dad somehow ended up getting a pirated copy of the game that had no sound whatsoever. Nonetheless, I was immediately hooked, and begged for the full game until my parents caved and got it for me. I still have all of my original CDs for the game and its expansions, and I've installed it and continued to play it on every PC I've owned. I have a few familes who have been around for 15 years at this point (until its later iterations, Sims in the original could not die of old age, nor did sim children ever grow up), and I intend to keep them going as long as I can.
The Hun Family
This is my favorite family that I've created so far. It consists of four adult family members and a cat who live in a commune and make obscene amounts of money. Below are their bios:
Yuppa has returned to start a NEW Hun family, and attempt once again to lead the great commune that he envisioned before it was destroyed in the great Game Crash of 2004.
|Career Path:||X-Treme Career||Playful:||5|
|Current Job:||Treasure Hunter||Nice:||6|
Telucca doesn't yet know what she'd like to do with her life, but whatever it is, she's sure she's going to do it better than anyone else. In high school, she was voted Most Likely to be Seduced By Captain Kirk on a Small Primitive Planet.
Chosen by Yuppa to be the house's token idiot, 657 doesn't know how much of an dumbass he is, but that's okay, because we still love him anyway. But he knows how to dress himself--what a big boy!
Nobody knows much about Skyra. Hailing from someplace where there must be very little oxygen, Skyra has a passion for cleaning and discipline. However, don't let her hard exterior scare you away--she can be nice company once you get to know her.
Mission log #47: The home I have chosen is comfortable, but its people are...strange. They seemed to be...controlled by some being that I cannot see or hear. Their actions are stilted and forced, and yet the invisible being actually seems to CARE for these dumb creatures. How can I learn this power??? With it, I could be invincible...!!!
Gallery and Download
Download this family here
The Uglypoor Family
Sometimes you just have to go full white trash. Actually, I had collected a lot of "run down" items and wanted to stick them into one nasty, dysfunctional family, so I came up with the Uglypoor folks here:
|Current Job:||Dish Washer||Nice:||5|
Sammy UglyPoor don't give no craps. Sammy UglyPoor don't wanna hear your whinnin'. Just go away and pick your nose on somebody else's dime, why doncha?!?!?!
Wha...? Huh...? Did you say somthin'?!?! Speak up, child! I ain't got all day to sit here and watch you kill grass.
My mommy said I was an Oops. I guess she's right, cause I seem to mess up everything. That's whatcha call clumsy!
I know what you're thinking. That I'm the redheaded stepchild of the family. Well I'll show them all. They won't be laughing or calling me butthead once I've revealed my plans for WORLD DOMINATION!!! WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, UGLYPOORS?!?!?! WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!?!?!?!?!?
Gallery and Download
Download this family here
Sims LinksSurprisingly, a good number of Sims custom content sites are still around. Here are a few of my favorites:
- 7 Deadly Sims - Some of the images seem broken, but you can still download a lot of content. My favorite is the Fringe Set, under Sloth
- Around the Sims - Great collection of stuff here. Lots of themed furniture sets.
- Magnolia Sims - Lots of historical objects and fasion
- Moni's sims - I've used a lot of these in my game. Funiture, walls, floors, houses, and skins, etc.
- Secret Society of Woobsha - Historical items, as well as a lot of hacked and unique objects. Tons of stuff here!
- Sim Freaks - Lots of stuff here too, as well as some really unique meshes and fun fantasy-type stuff.
- Sim Logical - Hacked objects to make your game easier and more interesting!
- Some Sim Things - Even more hacked objects! Has some really fun stuff!
- Bodoir Blanc - Lots of shabby chic and dreamy custom content
- How to run Sims1 in full resolution - This is a link to a Reddit thread that has instructions on how to run your game on modern systems in full resolution. I've used it on my system, and it works great with one caveat: don't alt-tab out of the game or it gets wonky.
- Oph3lia's Little Page About the Sims - Gothy and Victorian stuff for the Sims. One of my favorites back in the day.
- Awesome Expression - This one is still being updated, and the webmaster is in the process of re-hosting lots of old custom content that otherwise would have been lost on the internet. This one is a must-visit.
Sim Tower is a tower-building game made by Yoot Saito and published by Maxis. It's an old favorite of mine that I still come back and play to this day.
More content coming soon!
The Pico-8 is a fantasy cosole by Lexaloffle games that you can program to make tiny little games. It has 16 colors and comes with a sprite editor and sequencer. In fact, I usually use the Pico-8 palette for most of the pixel art on my Pixel art page.
Games for the Pico-8 are distributed via .png images. Here are some of the ones I've collected. If you have the Pico-8 program, you can right-click these and save them in order to play the games in them.