Currently Feeling: artistic
I've actually got a few phone stands around my place that I've purchased pretty cheap, but for a while I've wanted one that I can fold up and put in my bag, and I figured it can't possibly be that complicated to make one. So I sat down with some materials and ideas, and I've made some instructions so that you can make your own.
Click below to see the full instructions and get the downloadable template.
Here's what you'll need:
- Corrugated cardboard
- Duct tape
- Craft knife/boxcutter/similar blade
- Anything you'd like to decorate with. Stickers, markers, paints, paper, etc.
There are abbreviated instructions in the template file as well, but if you need photos they're down here.
1. First, you'll need to download and print out the template here:
Cut out the pieces and place them on to some corrugated cardboard. I used a leftover shipping box:
2. Now you'll need to cut out the cardboard, including the hole at the top of piece C
3. Next, you'll want to use duct tape to connect A1 to B1, and B2 to C2. Make sure to leave about 1/8" between each piece, otherwise you won't be able to fold it up afterwards.
4. Flip the whole thing over, and cover the sticky bits with more duct tape, making sure to press the tape down in between each join. I used a popsicle stick to get all the way down in there.
5. Now you can decorate it! You can cover with paper, paint it, use stickers, markers, whatever you want. I made two of these, and one of them I covered with pretty paper, while the other one I covered in duct tape and stickers. I'll probably take the stickered one with me, so I covered it in packing tape afterwards to protect everything.
In order to use it, fold the three pieces towards each other to make a triangle, and put the tab on piece A through the hole in piece C. Stand it up and rest your phone on the tab part:
When you're done, you can unfold the whole thing and put it in your pocket. It ends up being pretty small!
And there you go! It's pretty straighforward and I can't be the only person who's ever thought of this, but nearly everyone has cardboard lying around, so why not make yourself a personalized phone stand? I think I'll get a lot of use out of mine. It may also fall apart eventually due to the materials it's made of, but hey, it didn't cost me anything, so I won't be out any money.